5/17/11

Spring cleaning for the soul

The past couple of weeks hubster and I have been doing home renovations of a pretty major scale. We have been painting, painting and more painting, cleaning out junk, having yard sales and lots and lots of yard work! Needless to say our home has been less than inviting during this time and truthfully I am not sure the kids knew where to look for their beds each night,,,haha! I admit I do love the "after" (the during, not so much) when everything is sparkly clean, freshly painted and each picture and decoration is just in its right spot.  I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to have a home that we can care for and I do admit feeling a sense of accomplishment when our efforts result in the being able to relax in out comfy home or sit outside and enjoy the manicured flower beds and pretty flowers adorning the yard. The one big thing that I noticed while doing all of this was the amount of trash, dust or weeds that had to be cleaned out of the house or the flower beds! I got the Murphys oil out and wiped all the furniture in all the nooks and crannies I normally cannot get to, picked up little bits of paper that normally are hidden underneath the furniture and spent more than a few hours pulling weeds and spraying round-up on some of those toughies! The hubster even had to help out with a hoe to cut away some of the tough roots that seemed to go on forever.
I realized that we can, and some of us probably do have the same thing going on in our spiritual life. Just as the dust and weeds can easily overrun a clean home or beautiful flower bed, sin and neglect can overrun us when we don't care for ourselves spiritually. We too have to throw away the junk that clutters our heart and mind, weed out those pesky sins that seem to continually show up especially the ones that run deep, and spend time in the word and with our Father so that we may blossom to our full potential and be that beautiful creation that God takes pleaure in knowing that he created!

No comments:

Post a Comment